Many think of the emotional wounds and physical injuries associated with child abuse. But the experience of child abuse and neglect can severely impact a child's long term physical health, brain development, behavior, and relationships.
Long-Term Effects of Child Abuse and Neglect
Adverse Childhood Experiences Study (http://www.acestudy.org/)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Consequences of Child Maltreatment
The Impact of Domestic Violence Exposure on Children
"15.5 million U.S. children live in families in which partner violence occurred at least
once in the past year, and seven million children live in families in which severe
partner violence occurred."
- Futures Without Violence, formerly the Domestic Violence Prevention Fund
- Video - "First Impressions: Exposure to Violence and a Child's Developing Brain"
- Video (Spanish) - "First Impressions: Exposure to Violence and a Child's Developing Brain"
- Children of Domestic Violence (PSA)
- Center for the Developing Child, Harvard University - a series of videos including the impact of trauma and toxic stress on early child development
Handouts and Other Resources
- Presentation by Dr. Randell Alexander on the Health Consequences of Child Abuse
- Complete Factsheet set on Domestic Violence and Children from Futures without Violence
- "Children and Domestic Violence - How Does Domestic Violence Affect Children?"
- "Children and Domestic Violence - Listening and Talking to Your Children About Domestic Violence (2015)"
- Resources from the National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- Santa Clara County Child Death Review Team (CDRT) Annual Report
- Cost of Child Abuse in Santa Clara County Infographic
- It's Child Abuse, Not Immigration Policy: A statement by the Greater Bay Area Child Abuse Prevention Councils Coalition
- Reporting Child Abuse
- Mandated Reporter Resources
- Calendar and Meeting Schedule
- Link to SCC Boards and Commissions Page (Find commission schedules, past meeting agendas and minutes here)
- Greater Bay Area - Child Abuse Prevention Council Coalition
- Application for Community Advisory Membership
- Application for Voting Membership/ Commission Appointment
- Child Abuse Prevention Council Fact Sheet
- April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month