Who is a Mandated Reporter?
- Certain people are Mandated Reporters of Child Abuse and must make a report regarding any reasonable suspicion of Child Abuse.
A mandated reporter is not to conduct an investigation or collect evidence before making a report.
Reporting to a direct supervisor such as a school principal or child care director does not meet your requirement as a Mandated Reporter under the eyes of the law.
Reportable Type of Abuse
To Report Suspected Child Abuse
In cases of an immediate emergency, always call 9-1-1 for Law Enforcement intervention. Where the situation is not an emergency needing the police, reports should be made to the Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline in the following areas:
Report Suspected Child Abuse in Santa Clara County
24-hour toll-free hotline: 1-833-SCC-KIDS
- San Jose Area: (408) 299-2071
- Gilroy/Morgan Hill Area: (408) 683-0601
- Palo Alto Area: (650) 493-1186
The Department of Family and Children Services operates a Child Abuse and Neglect Center (CANC) which screens calls 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. Screening Social Workers answer the telephone, in the office, from 8 a.m. until 10 p.m. and after 9:45 p.m., an on-call social work supervisor takes over this function. After 6 p.m. there may only be one person on duty and your call may go to voice mail to be returned as soon as possible in the order received by the CANC.
Mandated Reporter Training - spring and June dates now available via Zoom!
The Santa Clara County Department of Family Children’s Services in partnership with Seneca Family of Agencies provides FREE monthly Mandated Reporter trainings (virtual/in-person) in English or Spanish. Click here for the flyer to see training dates and registration information.
Agencies may also request to host their own, separate training by contacting [email protected] or calling (510) 654-4004 for further information. The Mandated Reporter Training is 3 hours and is available to Santa Clara County Mandated Reporters. CEUs are provided.
The California Department of Social Services (CDSS) and the Office of Child Abuse Prevention (OCAP) also provide free 24/7 self-paced Mandated Reporter training online in English and Spanish here. It provides additional, profession-specific modules as well.
Mandated Reporters should check with their employment agency before registering to ensure trainings satisfy employment requirements.
Guidelines for Mandated Reports
- Social Services Agency - Information for Mandated Reporters
- When to contact Child Protective Services in domestic violence cases (Reviewed and current as of 12/2014)
- When you must report Consensual Sexual Activity involving minors (Reviewed and current as of 12/2014)
- California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Law, 2013
- Child Abuse Mandated Reporter's Training (Free On-line Training)
- Child Abuse Reporting Guidelines for Sexual Activity Between and with Minors (Reviewed and current as of 12/2014)
- The California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Law Issues and Answers for Mandated Reporters 6/2012
- Duty to Assess Maternal Substance Abuse
- Juvenile Dependency Process
- Mandated Reporting of Child Maltreatment Developments
- Child Abuse Reporting and You
- Reporting Law for School Administrators 2013
- AB 1432, Gatto. Mandated Child Abuse Reporting: School Employees: Training
- AB 2560, Bonilla. Teacher Credentialing: Applications: Child Abuse Reporting
- Santa Clara County Abuse and Neglect Complaints
- Professional Training and Mandated Reporter Trainings
- Reference and Training Materials
- Mandated Reporter Train the Trainers Website
- Suspected Child Abuse Report Form (SS 8572)
- Definitions and General Instructions for Completion of Form SS 8572
- Protecting children from abuse and neglect - Your responsibilities as a mandated reporter
- Santa Clara County Child Death Review Team (CDRT) Annual Report
- Cost of Child Abuse in Santa Clara County Infographic
- It's Child Abuse, Not Immigration Policy: A statement by the Greater Bay Area Child Abuse Prevention Councils Coalition
- Reporting Child Abuse
- Mandated Reporter Resources
- Calendar and Meeting Schedule
- Link to SCC Boards and Commissions Page (Find commission schedules, past meeting agendas and minutes here)
- Greater Bay Area - Child Abuse Prevention Council Coalition
- Application for Community Advisory Membership
- Application for Voting Membership/ Commission Appointment
- Child Abuse Prevention Council Fact Sheet
- April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month