2021 Child Abuse Prevention Month Virtual Speaker Series Materials
Thank you for attending the first virtual speaker series pesented by the Child Abuse Prevention Council. Not all speakers have released their materials for distribution. Below are links to available materials and sessions that were recorded.
Race and Disproportionality in the Work of Child Welfare Related Agencies, April 23rd and 30th, 2021.
Disproportionality and Racial Bias in Child Welfare: Research, Manifestations, Controversies, and Recommendations. Dr. Brett Drake, PhD, Washington University in St. Louis, Brown School of Social Work and Public Health, and Dr. Darcey Merritt, PhD, NYU, Silver School of Social Work
Effects of Harmful Immigration Practices/Systemic Triggers on Refugee and Immigrant Support Services: How to Respond and Reduce the Trauma and Fear, Dr. Amana Ayoub, PsyD, Senior Staff Clinician, Center for Survivors of Torture, and Dr. Stacie Papineau, PhD, Program Manager/Clinical Supervisor, AACI
The Experience of Transgender and Non-Binary Youth in Foster Care– Challenges and ideas for improvement.
2019 Symposium Materials
Thank you for joining us at the 37th annual Child Abuse Prevention Symposium on Friday, April 12, 2019 at Villa Ragusa. Check out the presentation materials, media coverage, and other useful links from the event below.
SPEAK OUT! CONFRONTING THE CULTURE OF CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE AND SECRECY
KRON TV Coverage: Olympic Gold Medalist Talks about Surviving Sexual Abuse
Live Stream of Jordyn Wieber's Symposium Presentation
Keynote Address by Victor Vieth, JD, MA
- Presentation (PDF): Institutional Abuse: Understanding and Responding to Child Abuse within Faith Communities, Sports, Youth Serving Organizations, and Universities
- Article: CDC/ Preventing Child Sexual Abuse Within Youth-serving Organizations
- Berkovits: Institutional Abuse in the Jewish Community
- Berkovits: Preventing Abuse in Christian Organizations That Serve Youth: Ten Policies to Create Safer Environments
- Tchividjian: Responding with Excellence to an Allegation of Sexual Abuse with the Church
- Centerpiece: Lessons from Penn State: A Call to Implement a New Pattern of Training for Mandated Reporters and Child Protection Professionals
- When the Athlete is a Child: An Assessment of USA Swimming's Safe Sport Program/ 2014
Plenary Session with Susan Hardie, RN, Ph.D.
- Presentation: The Child Sexual Abuse Accommodation Syndrome: Why It's Still Relevant
- Article: Roland Summit, MD: The Child Sexual Abue Accommodation Syndrome
Workshop: In the Hall with a Perpetrator: Sexual Assault in Juvenile Detention Then and Now
Workshop: Building Our Children's Future: Creating a Child Advocacy Center for Santa Clara County
Workshop: Child Sexual Abuse: A Risk Factor for Sex Trafficking and Justice System Involvement
- Presentation by Elisa Carias, JD, Supervising Probation Officer, SCC and Erica Elliott, MSW, Sexual Assault and Prevention Program Manager, Community Solutions
Additional Links and Resources
- To report suspected child sexual abuse, call the Santa Clara County Department of Family and Children’s Services at (833) SCC-KIDS, 911 or your local law enforcement agency
- Sexual Violence Continuum
- Jacob's Hope Newsletter
- Prevent Child Abuse America Fact Sheet
- Darkness to Light
- Stop it Now
- The Mama Bear Effect
- Local Resource Agency: YWCA
- Local Resource Agency: Community Solutions
- Healthy Relationships Santa Clara County
Congratulations to the 2019 Angel Award Recipient, Margaret Petros, and 2019 Child Protector of the Year Recipient Grace Leonis!
Congratulations to Angel Award Recipient Recipient, Dr. Catherine Albin, and Child Protector of the Year, Dr. Suzanne Frank, both pediatricians from Kaiser Permanente.
2018 Symposium Materials
Keynote Address by Dr. Colleen Friend
Volunteer Spotlight: Bikers Against Child Abuse (B.A.C.A)
Plenary Session Address by David Love, LMFT
Workshop: Children Exposed to Domestic Violence
Workshop: Cultural Humility: A Lifelong Perspective and Practice
Workshop: The Family Court Conundrum
Workshop: Medical Red Flags
Thank you for attending the 35th Annual Child Abuse Council Symposium on April 28, 2017 at Villa Ragusa in Downtown Campbell.
Congratulations to Angel Award recipient, Dorothy Ross, and Child Protectors of the Year, Yvonne Ruano and Anne Hollywood.
2017 Symposium Materials
Inspirational Speaker, Chloe Howard
Keynote Address by Charlie Appelstein, MSW
Plenary Session: Juvenile Hall with James Gibbons-Shapiro and Chris Arriola
Child Abuse Council Healthy Relationships Campaign and Public Service Announcement
Workshop: Addressing the Needs of Children of Incarcerated Parents with Samara Marion and Captain Daniel Rodriguez
Workshop: The Effects of Growing Up in Communities with Violence with Dr. Howard Pinderhughes
Workshop: Medical Community's Response to Reports of Child Abuse and Neglect with Steve Baron, Marlene Sturm, MD, Mary Ritter, Melody Kinney, Det. Matthew Peyton, and Mandana Mahdavi
Other helpful information
- The Economics of Child Abuse Study of Santa Clara County
- Healthy Relationships Campaign
- Resource Booklet for Mandated Reporters
- Information about becoming involved in the Child Abuse Council
Thank you for attending the 34th Annual Symposium on April 1, 2016 at Villa Ragusa.
2016 Symposium Materials
Keynote Address by Dr. David Finkelhor
Workshop: Homeless Youth
Workshop: Gender Identity
- Genderbread Person Graphic
http://www.transstudent.org/ Gender Unicorn and resources
http://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/cr/cf/senatebill48faq.asp - California's Senate Bill 48
Workshop: Sentinel Injuries
- Please email [email protected] for a copy of Dr. Tayama's PowerPoint on Sentinel Injuries.
2015 Symposium Materials
Keynote Address: Health Consequences of Child Abuse - Dr. Randell Alexander
- PowerPoint Presentation
- Presentation in PDF
- Link to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Child Maltreatment Resources
Plenary Session - International Human Rights and Juvenile Justice in California
Article on Child Poverty in the U.S.
Plenary Session: Child Trafficking
Workshop: Psychotropic Medications
Workshop: Refugee and Unaccompanied Children
- Materials not available at this time.
Workshop: CDRT: Teen Suicide
- Factsheet: 2012 National Strategy for Suicide Prevention
- Introducing Mental Health Issues for Teachers
- Technology-aided Suicide Prevention Resources List
- List of Grief Support Resources
- Suicide Prevention Brochure - Chinese
- Suicide Prevention Brochure - Vietnamese
- Suicide Prevention Brochure - Spanish
Workshop: Preventing Burnout
Congratulations to the 2015 Angel Award Recipients for more than 30 consecutive years of service to the Child Abuse Council of Santa Clara County: Penelope Blake, Ken Borelli, Nora Manchester, Fran Naylor, and Ann Whyte.
General Symposium Reference
- Santa Clara County Child Death Review Team (CDRT) Annual Report
- Cost of Child Abuse in Santa Clara County Infographic
- It's Child Abuse, Not Immigration Policy: A statement by the Greater Bay Area Child Abuse Prevention Councils Coalition
- Reporting Child Abuse
- Mandated Reporter Resources
- Calendar and Meeting Schedule
- Link to SCC Boards and Commissions Page (Find commission schedules, past meeting agendas and minutes here)
- Greater Bay Area - Child Abuse Prevention Council Coalition
- Application for Community Advisory Membership
- Application for Voting Membership/ Commission Appointment
- Child Abuse Prevention Council Fact Sheet
- April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month